One outstanding educator will be selected each week during the school year and will receive a $500 cash prize as well as a $500 grant to their classroom, school or school district. One annual winner will be selected from the weekly winners and will receive a $10,000 cash prize.
For this program, the Lottery has teamed up with Michigan State University basketball coach Tom Izzo, who will present each winner with their award. In addition to the $500 cash prize and $500 grant, each winner also will receive a plaque and be featured in a news segment on the Lottery’s media partner stations: WXYZ-TV in Detroit, FOX 17 in Grand Rapids and FOX 47 in Lansing.
The first winner of the weekly Excellence in Education award is scheduled to be announced next week. The news segment about the winner will air on Tuesday in Grand Rapids and in Lansing and then on Thursday in Detroit.
Excellence in Education award nominees will be evaluated on the following criteria:
- Excellence – Their work consistently helps students and/or their schools or school districts advance to higher levels of academic achievement.
- Dedication – They consistently go above and beyond expectations to help students succeed.
- Inspiration – Their work inspires others around them to exceed expectations either academically or professionally.
- Leadership – They demonstrate clear leadership skills in their positions with their school or school districts
- Effectiveness – The nominee’s work has clear and positive results on the educational advancement of students within the school or school district.
To nominate an outstanding public school educator, go to http://bit.ly/ExcellenceInEducation.