LANSING, October 29, 1997 – It took a little time to spread the good news to all 25 members of the Lucky 25 Club. The Mancelona-based club was the latest to win a top Michigan Lottery prize!
The club had the only ticket sold in Michigan to match the first five numbers in the October 17 Big Game drawing, winning the $150,000 prize. That day’s winning numbers were: 22, 34, 35, 37, 45, and the Big Money Ball number was 3.
"My husband found the winning numbers in the Traverse City Record-Eagle," said club representative Betty Riddle. "Once we knew it was really a winner, we spent the day calling the rest of the club members – we talked to a lot of answering machines!"
Riddle said the members have played Michigan Lottery games as a club for about 10 months. Some of the members work together and some are spouses of members.
Members’ plans for their winnings include paying bills, taking vacations and "having a happier Christmas!"
The winning Big Game "easy pick" ticket was purchased at Mancelona E-Z Mart, 608 S. Williams St., in Mancelona.
Members of the Lucky 25 Club include:
- Nick Altrock of Mancelona
- Harold Andersen of Mancelona
- Virginia Andersen of Mancelona
- Douglas W. Cary of Mancelona
- Michael D. Cook of East Jordan
- Gary Freeman of Gaylord
- Margery L. Gruenberg of Central Lake
- Ronald Kadlec of Bellaire
- Sally Kadlec of Bellaire
- Janice M. La Vanway of East Jordan
- Kenneth L. La Vanway of East Jordan
- Brian Malcolm of Mancelona
- Francis Mills of East Jordan
- M. Jane Pence of Kalkaska
- Rebecca L. Peters of Kalkaska
- Betty J. Riddle of Mancelona
- Sidney W. Riddle of Mancelona
- Robert Sakuta of Kalkaska
- Phyllis Starkey of Mancelona
- Lawrence E. Strine of Mancelona
- Paula Strine of Mancelona
- Ryan Watson of Mancelona
- Joanne L. West of Mancelona
- Barbara Wilks of Mancelona
- Sherry Windish of Mancelona
The Big Game offers nine ways to win cash prizes. Players pay $1 for each play, and choose five numbers from 1 to 50, as well as one additional number from 1 to 25.
Friday’s (October 31) Big Game drawing is estimated at $5 million.
# # #