A Huron County educator known for sharing her passion for music has been honored with an Excellence In Education award from the Michigan Lottery.
The award winner, Dr. Samantha Corrion, is the music education teacher with Elkton-Pigeon-Bay Port Laker Schools.
The Michigan Lottery established the Excellence In Education awards in 2014 to recognize outstanding public-school educators across the state during the school year.
Winners of the weekly award receive a plaque, a $1,500 cash prize, and a $500 grant to their classroom, school, or school district. One of the weekly winners will be selected as the Educator of the Year and will receive a $10,000 cash prize.
Each winner also is featured in a news segment on the Lottery’s media partner stations: WXYZ-TV in Detroit, FOX 17 in Grand Rapids, FOX 47 in Lansing, and WNEM-TV in Saginaw. The news segment featuring Corrion will air this evening.
Corrion says a desire to share her love of music led her to a career in education.
“I want to share my passion of music with my students. When they know that we are all in this together and music creates joy, great things happen.”
Corrion says attending various performances with her students ranks among her favorite activities with students.
“Attending performances with my students to watch others showcase their talents and relating that to what we are doing in the classroom is really special.”
Corrion’s 11-year-old daughter nominated her for the award.
“Dr. Corrion is an outstanding professional and teacher. She shows her passion for music and encourages students to strive for their best. She is always looking out for students and helps out when she can. As the band director she wears many hats.”
Corrion earned a bachelor’s degree from Central Michigan University, a master’s degree from Southern Oregon University, and a doctorate from Grand Canyon University. She has been an educator for 23 years, more than 15 in her current position.
Excellence in Education award nominees are evaluated on the following criteria:
- Excellence – Their work consistently helps students and/or their schools or school districts advance to higher levels of academic achievement.
- Dedication – They consistently go above and beyond expectations to help students succeed.
- Inspiration – Their work inspires others around them to exceed expectations either academically or professionally.
- Leadership – They demonstrate clear leadership skills in their positions with their school or school districts.
- Effectiveness – The nominee’s work has clear and positive results on the educational advancement of students within the school or school district.