DETROIT, October 4, 1997 – Clarkston resident Clinton Smith, an avid sportsman, had the right strategy to win $10,000 Saturday night on "Road to Riches," the Michigan Lottery’s weekly television game show. Regina Husted, Smith’s daughter, played for him.
Smith, 67, plans to buy a new bass boat with his winnings. "I will also pay all my bills and be debt free," he said. Smith, a retired apartment manager, enjoys golfing, scuba diving, bowling, hunting and traveling in his free time.
On "Road to Riches" where all roads lead to prize money, contestants select travel symbols from the "Boulevard of Bucks," "Leisure Lane," "Easy Street" and "Road to Riches" game boards. The contestant winning the closest amount to $1,000 without going over in the first four rounds advances to the final round – the home of the big vault. The player then chooses the correct key to open the vault. If successful on the first try, the player wins $50,000. Subsequent tries bring prizes of $20,000, $10,000 or $5,000. Other bonus prizes include instant cash bonuses and a Caribbean cruise for two.
The other "Road to Riches" contestants had these plans for their winnings:
- Betty Ann Johnson, 61, of Livonia, won $900. The homemaker said she will pay bills and take care of home repairs with her winnings. Johnson also won the Caribbean cruise in the third round of game play. She spends her spare time playing bingo and crafting. Kimberly Johnson played for her mother.
- Mary Cross, 60, of St. Clair Shores, won $600. A homemaker, Cross said she will use her winnings to pay bills and visit her children and grandchildren. Her favorite pastimes include reading, watching sports and traveling.
- Estella M. Sanders, 38, of Jackson, won $700. The press operator at Jac Products said she will pay off her car and take a vacation with her winnings. Sanders also won the $100 Quick Cash bonus in the first round of game play and the $250 Confetti Cash bonus in the second round. She enjoys playing cards and spending time with family in her free time.
- Ampelio Bortolani, 77, of Clinton Township, won $600. A retired Bachen Aerospace employee, Bortolani said he will share his winnings with family and buy a new car. His favorite hobbies include playing pinochle and bocci ball.
- Shirley Lezovich, 74, of Morrice, won $800. The homemaker said she will do some remodeling in her home and buy a minivan with her winnings. Lezovich enjoys shopping, painting and gardening in her spare time.
Contestants who will appear on the Saturday, October 11, show are: Kevin Brown, of Lake; Rosemary Aydingoz, of Warren; Joan L. Olson, of St. Clair Shores; Michael P. Sandretto, of Farmington; James Hart, of Ossineke; and Richard Schlegel, of Fowlerville.
All "Road to Riches" contestants receive full "star" treatment, including limousine service for travel around Detroit, accommodations at the Doubletree Hotel-Detroit and a luncheon at The Whitney Restaurant. Before the show, each contestant visits a television makeup artist and is photographed with the show’s hosts, Chuck Gaidica and Aggie Usedly.
The weekly show stems from the Michigan Lottery’s instant games. Players can enter a drawing to be a contestant on the "Road to Riches" show by sending in three non-winning tickets, one from each of three different instant games. Six entries are randomly drawn every week.
"Road to Riches" airs on Saturdays at 7:30 p.m. on a statewide network of nine stations including: WBKB-TV 11, Alpena; WOTV-TV 41, Battle Creek; WDIV-TV 4, Detroit; WJMN-TV 3, Escanaba/Marquette; WNEM-TV 5, Flint/Saginaw; WLAJ-TV 53, Lansing; WMKG-TV 40, Muskegon; WGTQ-TV 8, Sault Ste. Marie; and WGTU-TV 29, Traverse City.
# # #